13 Be subject for the Lord’s sake to every human institution, whether it be to the emperor as supreme,
14 or to governors as sent by him to punish those who do evil and to praise those who do good.
15 For this is the will of God, that by doing good you should put to silence the ignorance of foolish people.
16 Live as people who are free, not using your freedom as a cover-up for evil, but living as servants of God.
17 Honor everyone. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honor the emperor. 1
Three Guiding Principles:
1. We do everything for the Lord’s sake. (vs. 13)
2. We are free in Christ. (vs. 16)
3. Our freedom is for living as servants of God. (vs. 16)
1. In what ways do you find it hardest to submit to the authorities? How does this passage challenge and motivate you to do so?
2. Are there ways in which you might be submitting when you ought not to because it involves disobeying God?
3.Are there areas of government or laws that you, as a Christian, should be taking a stand against or voicing your concern over? How will you do this practically, and how will you ensure you do so with “honor”.