By the fullness of the Spirit, we must appropriate the life of Christ in us so that his words become our words and so we will speak the truth, for Jesus never lied, “nor was any deceit in his mouth” (Isaiah 53:9).
But above all, my brothers, do not swear, either by heaven or by earth or by any other oath, but let your “yes” be yes and your “no” be no, so that you may not fall under condemnation.
1 The Holy Bible: English Standard Version (Jas 5:12). (2016). Crossway Bibles.
Discipleship Group Questions:
1. What does James prohibit in verse 12? What does he mean by swearing?
2. Are we persons whose words can be trusted?
3. In what way do you need to make your “yes” truly mean “yes”, and your “no” mean “no”?
4. What’s the reason James gives for simple honesty?
Consider talking through the following application points.
Spend some time confessing the area’s of sin that any of these questions might highlight in your life. Encourage one another in the perfect work of Christ relative to his honesty.
LIST OF APPLICATION POINTS:
1) We must be sensitized to the horror of deception in the Body of Christ.
2) We must remember that for Jesus words are sacramental—an outward sign of an inward condition. (Matthew 12:34; cf. Mark 7:14)
3) We must understand that we will be judged by the words we say— every word: “But I tell you that men will have to give account on the day of judgment for every careless word they have spoken. For by your words you will be acquitted, and by your words you will be condemned” (Matthew 12:36, 37).
4) By the fullness of the Spirit, we must appropriate the life of Christ in us so that his words become our words and so we will speak the truth, for Jesus never lied, “nor was any deceit in his mouth” (Isaiah 53:9).
5) We must feed on the Word of God. (John 17:17, Psalm 51:6a).
6) It is from carelessness as much as intentional lying that so much falsehood abounds. So we must be careful about what we say. If it is not true, we ought to correct ourselves. If we have been giving the wrong impression, straighten it out.